How To Clean a Keurig Coffee Machine
How To Descale a Keurig Coffee Maker
Single cup coffee makers from Keurig brew delicious, gourmet coffee in seconds with little to no mess. Stylish looks and a convenient brewing process make Keurig coffee machines popular in homes and offices across America.
With a machine this well designed, it’s easy to overlook the need for regular maintenance. However, setting aside some time to give your Keurig coffee maker a little TLC will provide years of trouble-free brewing and great tasting coffee.
Descaling Your Keurig Coffee Maker
Keurig coffee brewers are extremely easy to use, and it’s just as easy to descale a Keurig coffee machine. CoffeeCow offers the Dezcal Descaler product so that you can safely and easily clean your Keurig coffee maker.
Over time, mineral deposits accumulate inside your Keurig coffee machine. These mineral deposits make it more difficult for your Keurig to heat the water to the appropriate temperature. The deposits also affect the taste of your coffee.
It is generally recommended that you descale once every six months (or every three months if you use hard water). To eliminate the guesswork, many Keurig coffee brewers flash a warning light to let you know descaling is needed.
The solution contained in the Dezcal Descaler product is nontoxic and biodegradable. It works to dissolve lime scale, calcium and other buildup inside your Keurig coffee maker. Regular cleaning of your Keurig coffee maker using this product will help keep it in tip top shape and ensure that your coffee is perfect each and every time.
The Dezcal Descaler product can also be used in other home coffee makers, pod/capsule and espresso machines.
Keurig Cleaning Safety Precautions
Before attempting to descale or clean your Keurig coffee maker, here are some safety precautions that you should always keep in mind:
- Do not overfill your Keurig coffee machine with water or submerge the appliance in any liquid. Getting the machine wet can lead to fires, electrical shocks or other damage.
- While it is safe to leave your brewer on continuously, Keurig recommends turning the coffee maker off and unplugging it before cleaning or when not in use for more than a week.
- Before disassembling or attempting to clean it, allow the Keurig coffee machine to cool off completely. This will help you avoid burns from contact with the heating elements or with hot water.
Keurig Cleaning & Ongoing Maintenance
To keep your Keurig coffee tasting great and your machine running smoothly, here are some handy tips:
- Before using your Keurig coffee maker for the first time, perform at least eight cleansing brews. To do this, fill the machine with water and run the brew process eight times to flush out any contaminants. (Please refer to your model’s Care & Use Guide for detailed instructions.)
- To prevent your Keurig coffee from developing an aftertaste from chlorine or minerals, fill your machine using filtered water. This is an especially good tip for people in areas with hard water.
- After each brew process is complete, dispose of the used K Cup. Every few days, run a brew cycle without a K-Cup to flush the machine with plain water. This will help prevent clogs and keep your Keurig coffee tasting fresh.
Daily Keurig Coffee Maker Cleanup
On a day-to-day basis, your Keurig coffee maker doesn't need a lot of attention. K-Cups neatly contain the ground coffee and single cup coffee makers are designed to keep cleanup to a minimum. If water or coffee should spill, there is a removable, dishwasher-safe drip tray to catch the mess.
If you’d like to clean the outside of your machine, simply wipe the surface with a damp, nonabrasive cloth. On many Keurig models, the water reservoir is detachable and can easily be washed in the sink with warm, soapy water.
If your brewer does not have a removable water reservoir, unplug your Keurig coffee maker and carry the machine to your sink. Carefully rest the coffee maker at a 90 degree angle, remove the drain cap and allow the water to pour out slowly. Then simple replace the drain cap after all the water has been drained.
By following these Keurig descaling and cleaning processes, Keurig coffee maker operating and providing you with delicious coffee for many years to come.
For additional tips and detailed instructions on how to care for your Keurig coffee maker, please refer to the product’s official Care & Use Guide.